Tuesday, February 4, 2014

The Power of Music

Last Friday, I was so angry with El. She was whining and crying and being destructive and making messes. Food, diaper changes, being naked---none of those things worked. I lost my temper and yelled at her a few times. I finally put her in her bed and let her cry until she fell asleep.

I went downstairs to mop the very dirty wood floors. I was about to turn on some angry music to aggressively scrub the floors to (much like a teenager), but I paused for a minute. I did not want to feel angry all day. I wanted to feel happy and to like my daughter. I did not want to perpetuate my frustration. So what did I do?

I chose instead to listen to some peaceful music by the Mormon Tabernacle Choir. The first song changed my attitude and I felt happy. After an hour of good, uplifting music and shiny, clean floors, I could smile. When El woke up an hour later, I could smile again. And we had a good rest of the day.

So next time you are angry, try listening to something that brings peace to your soul. It may change your day around completely. Music is so powerful and sometimes I forget that it is.

What music helps you to calm down?

Do you listen to music based on your mood?

No comments:

Post a Comment