Monday, March 31, 2014

Great Monday Workout!

El has been driving me absolutely insane the past few days. After she woke up an hour early, refused to eat or drink very much of anything, and was incredibly whiney, I put her down for an early nap at 8:30. I decided to go out into the garage and street in front of the house to do one of the few running workouts I do, besides just going. And after this great workout, I feel ready to deal with my cute little whiner baby for the day.

It is Daily Cup of Kate's "Run 'n Row" workout. If you have access to a rowing machine, it is a great half-hour workout. I am lucky enough to have a rowing machine in the garage (Drew probably thinks I never use it, but I do, not regularly though). I got it for free when a church member was moving and didn't have room in the moving truck. Basically, you run for 5 minutes, then row for 5 minutes, and then a descending ladder for 4, 3, 2, 1 minutes. I started with rowing, but same thing, right?

This workout always gets my heart rate up, so I took a 1 minute break to stretch and bring my heart rate back down in between each unit. It ended up taking longer than 30 minutes, but I feel good now and I didn't push myself too hard, which is important to do during pregnancy. It isn't bad to work hard, but it is bad to wipe yourself out.

I ended up rowing .28 miles in about 15 total minutes and running 1.6 miles in a little over 15 minutes (I always stopped my gps at my house so it would keep a good measure). Then added in another short run to get to an even 2 miles. I was happy to hear my fastest half-mile split was at 10:19, and it was my last one. My average ended up being 10:50, so I'm not complaining. I feel like I have been able to keep up my speed gains fairly well during these first 20 weeks. We will have to see how the next 20 weeks and postpartum recovery goes! I'm really pleased with my achievements in this workout and feel good now. Here's to a beautiful and healthy sunny day!

If you have kids, does a good workout help you be a better mom?

Do you row?

What's your favorite running workout?

No comments:

Post a Comment