Monday, June 16, 2014

Swims Lately

Swimming has been great. I really wish I had hit the pool earlier in this pregnancy. That being said, I feel like I've already improved in my fitness. I aim to go three times a week, but usually get to two. I swim for about a half hour. I try to get in by 5:45, and then I like talking to Drew for a bit before he leaves for work at 7ish, so my swims are shorter than I would like them, but I think that too much more would kill me right now. After all,I am starting from zero.

Each time I go, I am the slowest person in the pool. And that is ok. I just started. I'm 7 months pregnant (and such a shape is not ideal for fluid dynamic flow). I didn't do swim team growing up. I'm focusing on technique.

In swimming and in running, it doesn't matter if you are the slowest. What matters is that you are out there trying to improve, to get stronger, to enjoy a physical sport. And I don't think the other people really care (unless you are circle swimming and they want to get around you, and then you should let them pass at the end of the pool).

Last week, I had a great swim and did a lot of back stroke and my back felt it. On Saturday I went faster than usual and got a great, heart-pumping workout. This morning I focused on my freestyle form in my arms and feel my triceps, and I swam for 35 minutes and went 24 laps (I usually hit 20 in a half hour). I feel like I've been getting stronger and my endurance is improving. I feel good at the end of a swim. I don't feel pain in my hips or abdomen. Swimming has been good.

My goals for the next few months are to increase my stamina and work on my freestyle form.

No comments:

Post a Comment