Thursday, June 26, 2014

Focused, Relaxed, Strong

My alarm goes off at 5:15 each weekday. I sluggishly rolled out of bed yesterday morning and gathered up my swim gear and headed to the gym. I considered just sticking my legs in the hot tub for a half hour instead of swimming, but I somehow found myself in the pool. I'll just take it easy. No one can have too high of expectations from the tired pregnant lady. So I started out slowly and just relaxed as I swam. Then I focused on keeping my underwater arm straight as I stroke, the technique point I've been working on lately. I found myself having a better focus on my stroke and the workout in general. I felt strong and like I've improved over the past weeks. I could feel the muscles in my arms, back, and legs that I'd worked the day prior. Despite this, I managed to stay relaxed and the swim was incredibly refreshing.

This morning, I slept in. Everyone in the house had slept deeply through the night so I took advantage a some extra snoozing. I did get El up and ready in time for an 8:30 yoga class. I hoped to get there early to talk to the teacher before but that doesn't always work when you are a mom. We started with several minutes of deep mindful breaths. I've tried the past few days to visualize a positive delivery, to practice relaxing my body, to breathe negative thoughts out. The beginning of the practice helped me to each a great point for that. I felt open, relaxed, and that there was space left in me somehow! I focused throughout the class, and was especially gratefully when the teacher told us to engage out pelvic floors. I stretched myself gently, modified when needed, and felt very strong for my 32-week pregnant state. I loved the class, appreciated that the teacher noticed I was pregnant and gave me good modifications, and I will be back to her class soon.

I have had two great days, workout-wise. In both the swim and yoga practice, I felt focused on what I was doing, stronger than I expected, and free of tension. They have been two great workouts.

It is so important to listen to your body. Yes, challenging it is good, but so is pausing and focusing on what your body needs. It will tell you if you take a moment to listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment