Monday, April 21, 2014

Maybe It's Time To Stop

My mom and MIL and SIL came to visit us last week. We had a lot of fun. I did not exercise well at all. This week, it is back to work.

I recently published a prenatal stroller workout and I have wanted to do it again since publishing it, but I feel like BLAH. Maybe that feeling will pass after I get back into a fitness routine in the next few days. Maybe it won't. However, I'm getting the feeling that my running days are almost numbered for this pregnancy and I will just be walking and speed walking during the workout.

This makes me sad. I want to run. I had fun last summer running regularly and would love to do it again this year. There is always next year. Pushing a double jogger (UGGHHHH! I'm tired already.).

So many mommy bloggers have written posts about comparing themselves to others moms on Instagram, Pinterest, and blogs. Lately, I'm struggling with comparing myself to other mommy runners and those runners who are currently pregnant. It seems to be a badge of honor to run as far as you can into your pregnancy. ***Oh, you only made it 22 weeks? Well, I ran up to 28 weeks. I ran up to 35 weeks. I ran the day I delivered my baby!*** Sheesh. I think I'm done running. I am exhausted the rest of the day, my lady parts get sore, and it isn't fun to run if I'm just running to say I did it.

I will have to take time off of running until after baby boy comes in August. I don't want to injure myself, my baby, or risk an early delivery. Even if I can't run, that doesn't mean I am out of shape. I can still walk, swim, do strength exercises, practice pilates or yoga. I can still eat healthy foods. I can still have the healthiest pregnancy I can and be safe and smart about it. And after I deliver my baby and spend time recovering, I can running and be an even stronger runner than I was before.

Even though I won't be running until October, I'll still update the blog with upcoming races in my area and interesting running articles or thoughts I have. Until then, this might just be a general blog about fitness and music.

Basically, I just want to tell you pregnant runners out there that there is no shame in not running through your entire pregnancy. It is easy to feel shame about not being "as tough" as others, whether that is getting an epidural or not running anymore. Stop it. Do your best, not anyone else's best.

No comments:

Post a Comment