Monday, November 18, 2013

Wet Running Weather

I live in the Pacific Northwest. In fact, I live in the Puget Sound Convergence Zone, which means it is the wettest part of the wet PNW. To my understanding, the weather is wetter because pressure zones (or however it is in meteorology) go around the Olympic Mountains and then converge here in this area. So all the weather collides and makes it very wet here.

We've had a pretty mild spring, summer, and autumn so far. It hasn't been very wet. But today is wet.

There are lots of different kind of rainfall, which I have experienced since moving here from Utah. There is misty rain, a steady drizzle, and fat droplets of very wet rain. There are other rains in between and beyond these, but those seem to be the most distinctive to me. You'd be amazed at how wet you can get from running in the misty rain.

Anyway, this year has not been terribly wet, which has bee great for my running. I don't have a gym membership or a treadmill, so I get to run outside. That isn't too bad, even in the rain. To make rain running even more difficult, I get to push little El in the jogging stroller. I actually don't mind it. It is fun to have such a cute running buddy. But I have put off and put off buying a rain cover for it.

Today is the day. I need to order it. I think the wet winter has officially started. I'm fine getting wet on a run. But I don't want El to get soaked.

Another challenge is that we live way up north. I am always amazed at the short sunlit hours. It isn't as bad now as it is in December and early January, but it is getting dark at 7:30 a.m. and dark at 5:00 p.m. Soon it will dark at 8:00 a.m. and dark again at 4:00 p.m. This adds another challenge for my winter workouts---I don't feel comfortable running in the dark where there are no sidewalks, especially when it is raining! But I will just have to deal with this, too.

A year ago,  right after I had El, I walked every day with her. If I didn't leave by 2:00 p.m., it would be dark before I got home! I wore my Ergo to carry her and I carried an umbrella to keep her sry. It worked well and was great to get out of the house.

It is definitely wet out today. And, though I woke up with enthusiasm to run, we haven't gone out yet. The rain comes down when she is awake and it stops after I put her down for a nap. I'll just do an indoor workout instead. But I am hoping to get out for a short run once Andrew gets home.

I do think that it is ok to back off on the training intensity during the winter. Maybe it is a bit of an off season. I know some people really like training in the winter. For now, I will just try to maintain fitness.

Today's workout
20 minutes total body strengthening
5 minutes core
****hoped-for 3 mile run****

Also, I actually practiced my cello on Saturday! I will be better about that because I am playing in a few weeks at church.

What are the winter challenges for your workout? Do you power through outside or take your workout indoors?

No comments:

Post a Comment